Today, in 1776, America declared it’s independence from Great Britian! Happy 4th, all!
Usually on this day, I’m partaking in the traditional BBQ fare of Hot Dogs, Burgers, Baked Beans, and some sort of Bread. I then chase it all with beer. Lots and lots of non-American beer.
But, I’m on my second week of my Atkin’s Low-Carb diet, so that is a no-can-do.
I’m not even supposed to have alcohol. But, it’s been seven days and I need to celebrate, damnit!
We made ‘Juicy Lucy’ beef patties, and chased it all down with a strong Cuba Libre.
For the patties:
- 85%/15% Ground Beef
- Pepper Jack Cheese; shredded
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Romaine Lettuce
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Combine the beef, shredded cheese, salt, and black pepper.
- Form into 2/3 lb. – 1lb.+ patties.
- Throw on the grill until desired done-ness.
- Once they are about complete, throw more cheese on top of each patty. Cook for an additional 30 seconds so the cheese will melt.
- Put on a plate, surround with Romaine Lettuce and top with Pickled Jalapenos.
- 1.5-3 oz of Silver Rum (Bacardi preferred) – 0 Carbs per 1 ounce
- Juice of 1 Lime and a Lime Wedge – 2.8 Carbs per 2 Tablespoons
- Diet Coke – 0 Carbs
- Fill glass with ice.
- Add in Silver Rum.
- Fill with Diet Soda.
- Top with Lime Juice.
- Hang Lime Wedge on the Glass.
- Add Straw.